Old 01-29-22, 11:05 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2239 Post(s)
Liked 3,434 Times in 1,797 Posts
Originally Posted by adamrice
I've already got 46/30. I'm actually looking for a little more top-end. The rest of my drivetrain is not GRX--how much does the wider chainline with GRX cranks affect the rest of the drivetrain?
3mm.

I use mine with my previously existing Ultegra (Di2) drivetrain. I had to adjust the limit screw on my front derailleur. Also, the front derailleur is sliding-clamp mount, so I was able to lower it easily. I use this with an 11-36T cassette without any issue. (The rear derailleur is officially rated for 11-32T max.)

Conversely, I am using a mechanical GRX front derailleur with my White Industries crankset on a different bike. That, too, works fine, even though the White Industries chainline is conventional road.

If you want to experiment with gearing, the White Industries crankset will give you more options, but the rings are about $80 each, so it could get expensive.

If GRX fits, you also have the 48/31T option, and the worst-case scenario is you get a GRX front derailleur (cheap if it is mechanical, prohibitive if it is Di2.)