Old 08-23-19, 02:21 PM
helouwn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm currently on a 10 speed Di2 6770, as well. I've been thinking about the upgrade. There would be two big "advantages" for me:

1) The newer Di2 have synchro-shift, are much more customizable, and actually feed info to the latest bike computers; and

2) 10 to 11 speed.

I've decided that, for me (and I stress, for me), 10 to 11 speed probably isn't enough of a reason to justify it. Between what I can do with the cassette and chainrings, I could probably find gearing that works. And that route would be way less expensive than junction box, derailleurs, battery, cabling, etc. (and yes, to get the other advantages, you do need the new battery - it's apparently a memory / storage thing).

Now I'm left with whether the newer features are worthwhile. And I'm still stuck on this one. Is customization that important to me? Is synchro-shift? The second sounds convenient. The first sounds cool. But it's a lot to pay for convenient and cool. Further complicating things for me is that I probably need new chainrings, cassette, and chain. And I'm also considering a power meter. All of those things would be different if I upgraded to the newest Di2.

The only thing I'll say is that I've learned bike upgrades are always a personal decision. Some people have enough disposable income to not really care about an extra $2k. Some people can barely stomach justifying replacing worn cleats. It will always be impossible for anyone to make that judgment for anyone else.

I'm currently leaning towards not upgrading. My bike works just fine. To the extent the gearing could be "easier" on hills, I could also just focus on getting in better shape. Also, as much as convenient and cool sound awesome, it's $2k.

Will

P.S.: But damn...convenient and cool sound awesome...

Last edited by helouwn; 08-23-19 at 02:49 PM.