View Single Post
Old 02-25-24, 08:06 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 490 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
Cotter pins and social media, nothing good can come of it when these two things are brought together.

Except maybe a picture of a "nice crank" showing what a properly installed cotter looks like. Well done iab. And I agree.. nice crank.
So Bianchigirl was actually replying to iab, and not me? Maybe it is best to hit "quote" when one wants to reply to a specific comment, instead of it appearing to be directed to the O.P. What is this, just laziness? Now, I'm tempted to feel like I over-reacted, but can we agree on this one guideline?

Exactly. iab has stated that some thread should be showing. This is my belief and experience, as well. So, here we get to see my original post again:

"I got new cotters, and they are in tight, and the nuts on the threaded end are engaged (one side fully, the other side caught only 2 or 3 threads, but did snug-up). I have 10mm of the non-threaded end visible on each crank. Should I go ahead and sand/file a little off the diagonal face of the pin, to get it to push farther through before I put the nut on? 10mm looks like too much visible."
There are no threads visible on either pin. The threaded section comes about flush with the outside of the nut.

Anyone who can give me a direct answer is welcome.

Last edited by 1989Pre; 02-25-24 at 08:10 AM.