Old 07-10-16, 06:12 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Excess Weight when the Battery is Dead.
Then you stop and re-charge with a solar panel...

Originally Posted by Caretaker
I toured in Spain this year, France in 2015, Portugal and Wales in 2014 and am always on the lookout here in Ireland for people touring. I've only ever seen two people touring (together) on E-assist bikes .

I think a lot of the people you have seen on these haven't in fact been touring.

As well as all the benefits they bring for the physically challenged they also remove some of the physical challenge of touring for the able-bodied which I would argue is a negative.
You got's' to start somewhere, and as for what is touring, who cares, some people tour 400 KM at a time, "holidays" and others tour for 40,000KM 3 years...

Originally Posted by fietsbob
You Commute between charging places , where do you plan to recharge the batteries every 40 miles
or what ever the battery storage capacity max range is?
Solar panels, ever heard of them?

Originally Posted by seeker333
I couldn't care less if one to chooses to tour on an e-bike, although I'd probably just rent a decent motor vehicle for this type of "tour" since it's probably less costly than buying an e-bike - which is exactly what the vast majority of people do as tourists on a vacation.

If there was a Spaceship forum at BF.net, and someone started a thread in Touring forum stating they were interested in the concept of touring by Spaceship, I would logically reply "no one here knows much of anything about Spaceships, why don't you ask the Spaceship folks?".
E-Bikes (European legal E-Assist) and motor bikes are not in the same category... When touring and how to do it you ask in the touring forum, and hope to get real answers by people who have done it the way you want to do it... Be it, "normal" touring, "ultralight" touring, "supported" touring, "E-Assist" touring.... and so on.

Originally Posted by spinnaker
Exactly. If you have some physical disability that requires the use of an e-bike then by all means use one. But if you are physically capable of pedaling a bicycle then by all means pedal with no assist. Even if it means you need to do shorter days.

I would have no desire to use an e-bike for touring. Part of the satisfaction of putting a hard day in the saddle is knowing I did it under my own power.
Good for you , and many others it seems around here... You know what? "Maybe" people who tour on Legal European E-Assist bikes, actually put in more "effort" for their "condition" than regular people who ride un-assisted would....