Old 07-28-16, 08:24 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by lwik
I'm pro e-bike touring and I have type 2 diabetes. Most people think you have to control what you eat, which is true, but the opposite is also true. Twice while touring my blood sugar got so low my liver released sugars in my system to help out my body. My poor pancreas can't release enough insulin to counter act that and my levels have gotten close to 500. 700 and above I am told to go to the hospital. It happens without warning and I have to stop right there, go no further. Body tingles, no energy at all and is dangerous at those levels.

I added a 750 watt motor to the front wheel that I use sparingly, as I need it. I built a custom pannier that holds a 300 watt fold out solar panel. When I stop for lunch I toss it out and let it charge the battery. While camping at night, I use that same battery to to charge all my devices which are all USB and an inverter for the laptop. Love having the excess power at the campsite.

I try and ride most of my miles without motor assist. But as I need it, I turn it on. I sometimes get dirty looks from the all peddle power touring folks when they see the motor, but they don't know my story, and thats OK. I weigh 265 pounds and with all my touring gear and solar stuff I'm peeling almost 450lbs. Here are some photos of my system.
Very interesting. Do you really mean 450lb's or is that a typo?

I'm curious about the solar panels as I just bought a smaller set up ( Instapark Mercury 10) to recharge my devices on my next tour (phone, Ipod, camera, gopro). I've wanted to get into solar for a while and am keen to see how it goes. https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B006ZSE6TM/...185360_TE_dp_1

What % do you think you use e assist overall and does your setup completely recharge the bike each day? Earlier in the thread we were talking about some people who were trying to make self supporting solar input arrays but they seemed to have panels out all the time as they rode (perhaps they used more assist and needed more recharge capacity).

Last edited by Happy Feet; 07-28-16 at 08:29 AM.