Old 03-08-21, 02:06 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
I have used the Schwalbe Pro 1 TLE (25 mm) on my solo road bike and it was a good tire, but I did have several tires fail due to glass cuts which would not seal, and even if they did I would not have ridden on them if I knew they had a 10 + mm cut in the tire.

I have ridden on Conti GP5000 on my road bikes (25mm) and my tandem (32mm). I have had one failure due to the casing separating from the bead (bang!) which was possibly due to low inflation. The Conti's are a bit less expensive, wear very well, seem to be more cut resistant, and I don't notice any handling difference.

I would ride on either Schwalbe or Conti, but when the Conti's are $10 per tire less from Merlin they get the nod.
The original Pro One TLE seemed to have a reputation for being fast and supple, but also for being a little fragile, which is why I avoided them. The pricing on them is pretty fantastic right now, though, and you might do okay if even one of out 4 meets a premature end.

In general, though, it's getting harder to find sale prices on good TL tires - discounts are neither as deep nor as common as they were pre-covid.