Old 07-29-21, 10:31 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Is there something unique about SAS shoes that makes them suitable for Morton's Neuroma? I have several foot issues (very narrow, bony feet with high arches, plantar fasciitis, metatarsal pain, etc.) but get by with some commonly available shoes from Adidas, Under Armour and a small independent running shoe company in Austin, Atreyu.

Some advisers suggest low drop or zero drop shoes for Morton's Neuroma. Most running shoes have a heel/toe drop of around 10mm. That includes most of my Adidas and Under Armour shoes. Atreyu's basic model has 6mm drop and the thickest, plushest insole I've seen as original equipment, about 5mm and very comfortable. With most shoes -- running, walking and cycling -- I replace the original insoles with ProFoot Miracle insoles, by far the best aftermarket insole I've tried. But after a break-in period, during which I used the ProFoot Miracle insoles in addition to the Atreyu original insole, I'm now just using the Atreyu insole. That was partly because I only resumed jogging around January and it took a few months to strengthen and toughen my feet to the point I no longer needed extra arch support and cushioning for the metatarsals and heels.

If there's a Ross, Marshalls or comparable discounter near you, they often carry very good quality shoes for around $15-$35 from Adidas, Under Armour, Nike, Reebok, Puma, Brooks and others. These are usually discontinued, new/old stock that's a year to three years old, but brand new, often in original packaging. I try them on in the store to be sure they'll work for me. Occasionally I'll buy online but it's very hit or miss so I prefer to try shoes in person.

I did buy the Atreyu online since that's the only way to buy them. At $75 for a single pair it was a reasonable risk based on the mostly positive reviews. They look a bit like old school Keds or Converse, but tweaked to be suitable for running. Very lightweight, around 6 oz each. My main criticism is they're too wide for me, but it's hard to find shoes that fit my A/B width feet right out of the box. Since the Atreyus are soft running shoes, I only needed to lace them up more snugly to fit. They'd be fine for anyone with normal feet, around C or D width.

The other problem was some pressure on the cuboid on my left foot. The stock Atreyu footbed and insole put slightly too much pressure on the lateral/outer edge of my midfoot, causing some tenderness on the cuboid, the little rounded projection just beside the ankle. I pulled out the Atreyu insole (gently, it's partially secured by detachable adhesive) and carefully trimmed the outer edge in a slight arc shape, a little at a time, trying the shoe between trimmings. After trimming a bit, I've gone about 75 miles of walking and jogging with no problems. Again, that's just a quirk of my feet, not a fault with the Atreyu shoe.

Another reason I keep mentioning the Atreyu is that, besides being a good shoe for running, jogging and walking, it turned out to be a very good casual cycling shoe with the iSSi Thump platform pedals on my hybrid. Very grippy. The Atreyu sole ins't as firm as, say, the Five Ten Freeriders, but is dense and resilient enough to provide adequate support. I don't feel the protruding grip pins on the pedals through the shoes.
Likes For canklecat: