Old 06-26-21, 10:55 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris O
I just finished my first crit. My goals of finishing and not crashing were accomplished. I expected to get dropped and even lapped, but I couldn’t hang on to the bunch almost from the start. The winners/pack finishers average speed for the race was 25.5 mph. Let’s just say my average speed was great for me but not near 25.5 mph (I don’t have a power meter). There were teams and lots of guys from out of state.

I ride a fair amount and did interval training for a few months before the race. It was just so much faster than I thought a “novice” cat5 race would be. Is this a typical experience for beginning racers?

Interestingly the cat4 race average speed was slower than the cat5 race. I mean, I can get a little more fit and drop some more weight but to get to that speed for a whole race seems like an unattainable goal for me. Maybe some cat5 crits are slower?

interested in feedback and experiences.

chris
You're in CT or MA?

Which Tues races are you referring to in your later response?
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson