View Single Post
Old 02-08-22, 06:49 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Age 61

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?

Soma Fog Cutter I use for general sport riding and randonneuring.
MTB for playing around.
CX bike for utility/commuter miles and racing CX (badly).
Volae Recumbent formerly my randonneuring bike, now languishing as I've gone upright.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?

Started Calcium/D after breaking my neck. They told me I had ostopenia, so I'm taking this combo.

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?

So many things have changed it's hard to say. I moved from the flat midwest to the PNW. I've switched from recumbent to upright. No doubt I'm slower because age is real, but it's hard to measure.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?

Since I was 8.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides.

Randonneuring is my focus; I do a 200 km or longer every month, a full SR series every year. I try to have a grand brevet to focus on for each year - that's 1200km or longer.
Shorter recreational rides, 0-50 miles or so, between the rando rides.
Play around in the woods on the MTB occasionally, but I have no skills to speak of.
A few CX races in the season, getting spanked in the 60+ group.
A few crit races in the 60+, 200+, or Cat 4 categories, also getting dropped like a bad habit.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?

Pre-COVID it was 6 days/week with my commute. Now it's 2-5 days/week. I'm doing some indoor hours in the cold/rain but pretty much hate every minute.
Around 5k/yr consistently.