Old 03-16-22, 06:23 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox

Please tell us your age.

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?
2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?
3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?
4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?
5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides.
6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?.
How is it that I just saw this thread?
Okay, here goes: to start, I'm entering my 7th decade (It sounds a lot younger than saying I'm 70)
1) I have two road bikes (endurance), both carbon fiber, one with mechanical Ultegra (now relegated to my smart trainer and Zwift), and one with Ultegra Di2.
2) Nope. Just my prescribed heart medications.
3) A lot. I used to long distance tour and race bikes in my 20s, could average 20mph on a "fun" ride for a century. But, after taking a job 90 minutes away (each way) there wasn't a lot of time left for riding, and I got out of shape, eventually leading to a heart attack in my 40s. Now I'm happy to maintain a 14-15 mph pace, and keep my heart rate in it's "happy zone" to make my cardiologist smile at my checkups. No KOMs or Strava segment leaderboards for me.
4) Started as a kid on a JC Higgins 20". In my teens I saved up enough from summer jobs to get a decent Raleigh 10 speed, and eventually turned that into my 'race' bike with wheel and component upgrades. Touring bike was a custom Romic that I rode all over New England, and bike toured/camped through Nova Scotia. A long period off the bike (see above) but now back on in my 60s to keep me healthy.
5) Shorter rides (<50 miles) now. A lot of Zwifting. I'm retired, and have the time to ride during the day, but my wife won't allow me to ride solo outside on the road ever since I got hit by a distracted driver a few years ago. She worries about me, and my term life policy expired.
6) I try to ride at least 3 times a week, with a day off for rest in between. I'll ride between 1500 - 2000 miles a year.

Last edited by Bald Paul; 03-16-22 at 06:27 AM.