Old 03-20-22, 02:36 PM
JamesLam

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wish I Saw This Thread Ten Years Ago.

I'll be 60 this fall.

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?
Oh, just picking up old 'stuff' like an old GT, Raleigh and something else (I have no idea what it is). Not sure where this will take me but I figured for now to have a few options for torquing around while I clean up a few others.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?
No, though I have been vegan for the past 5 years. For me that has had a very positive impact on my health. I used to take off the shelf allergy medication almost daily. Once I went vegan my allergies cleared completely and other than a few sniffles I haven't a cold or flu this entire time.

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?
In winter I play hockey a few times a week as well as sculling in the warmer months. When I'm playing hockey with the younger folk, sure I'm not so fast anymore, but I still try and surprise myself every now and again. For the rowing, I took most of the past 30 years and spent it in a coach boat so I have been redeveloping my skills during the past few years. So, even though I have slowed down I know I can get faster.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?
Old enough that as a kid if you wanted to get somewhere you would grab your bike and go. Parents were smarter back then and didn't drive you absolutely everywhere. Just be home by the time the street lights came on. As a teenager, once you got a car, the bike was toast. I had a few bikes as an adult but they seemed to get scooped by someone and the enthusiasm would be lost. Occasionally I would follow a bunch of my crews during regattas and did a little recreational biking here and there but nothing consistent.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides.
Just getting back at it. So I will be riding to work now that the weather is reasonable. A few of us are riding a Quebec rail trail in June for four days so that is what I am really preparing for. Any tips and words of wisdom or last rites would be greatly appreciated.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?.
It will be hard to say how this develops. I'm close to some things but too far from others so I'll have to really make a point to get out and ride. It will be hard to convince myself to ride to rowing practice at 5:00 am and then ride home after sitting uncomfortably in a coach boat for two hours. I have been dragging the family into this as well with great enthusiasm from all so hopefully we can make riding a key aspect of our daily routine.