Old 08-18-15, 11:39 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Mose
Also, watch as many sprinterdellacasa youtube videos as you can and read his advice in the subtitles. That alone will give you a leg up on the average Cat 5.
@Zedmor It may not be clear but sprinterdellacasa is me. I'm pretty challenged as a racer, 210w FTP, your weight. My strength is that I have a jump, and I have a few years of racing experience.

I placed 3rd in one race this year where I averaged under 155w, which is unusual, but typically my best races are those where I average between 170 and 190w. Much higher than that and I have no sprint left at the end. I tend to pick races with a short hill or no hill (short hill is usually better for me).

For many years I had to approach racing as a survival thing - usually I got shelled long before the end of the race. I made it a goal of mine to see less than 60 seconds of wind in an hour of racing. In some races, with a fierce wind and no shelter, I could feel my strength being ripped from my body as I struggled in the wind. I can always sprint if I have some reserves - that's how sprinters work. For those that don't sprint as well it's critical to be as fresh as possible when you make your efforts so that you make them count.

I suspect? that you haven't tried sprinting 100% when you're fresh. It's one thing to try and sprint at the end of a race, it's another thing to go out and do specific sprint work. There's some coordination involved, obviously some strength, and a lot of determination. Do a few accelerations (moderately big gear so you don't get spun out immediately) under 10 seconds and see what your 5 second and peak power numbers are, it may be that you have another dimension available to your racing.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson