View Single Post
Old 06-15-20, 04:29 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by RGMN
So I went out and got a Bontrager Ion 200 RT so I would have a complete daytime lighting system controllable from my Garmin 130. The real fun has now started - on more than a few occasions I've found either RTL510 or the Ion 200 RT even thought the 130 was off. Yesterday I couldn't get the Bontrager to turn on at the start of the ride. Then I figured out the battery was dead. It must have been on all night. Today the RTL510 was on, blinking away, 4 hours after I finished my ride, even though it was off when I powered off the 130 at the end of the ride. I'm starting to think the only solution is to completely power off both the RTL510 and the Ion 200 RT after every ride.

Originally Posted by JohnJ80
My experience with using a bike computer to automatically control an ANT+ light network is spotty at best. The whole concept as now implemented is just not all that robust.
After playing with this and a chance conversation with my firmware architect at work I actually have the Garmin 130, Garmin RTL510, and Bontrager Ion 200RT working reliably. Both the RTL510 and the Ion 200RT turn on when the 130 powers on, they turn off when the 130 powers off, they change modes reliable, and I can control each one independently if I want. I've found that if I keep the Light network Configuration to "Auto" the 130 adjusts the light modes of both the Ion 200 RT and the RTL510 depending on the ambient conditions. If I switch the Configuration to "Independent" both switch to the last state the lights were in when they were last in the "Independent" mode. I have both set to "Off" so I can quickly shutoff the lights when I need to.

The key to getting this to work is to have the head unit add the lights when everything is in position on the bike. My firmware architect worked on a project a few years back that investigated the use of ANT+ in an industrial setting. He remembered that ANT+ would attempt to determine the "quality" of the connection and would adjust during operation to optimize it. He remembered the initial pairing established a base setting and if this was too far off the system couldn't adjust sufficiently, with inconsistent communication as the result. So I tried what he suggested and it seems to have made a difference.

As far as finding the lights on at random times, I figured out that when I unmounted the 130 from my computer after syncing it would create a network with the lights, turning them on based on the time of day. But my bike lives in the basement when not in use, and the computer I use to sync it is upstairs. The 130 couldn't (still can't) reliably create a light network that far apart, thus the lights would sometime be on, or off, or at seemingly random states. Now I take the 130 off the computer and place it on the bike after syncing and everything is good. I haven't had any random operation of the lights since starting to do this.

Overall I'm really liking having the radar.
Likes For RGMN: