Old 08-23-20, 07:47 PM
NormanB

Bikes: single speed bridgestone bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Last ride 76
Norman, I just noticed that you are in Manila. (I can be somewhat slow at times.) Mostly locations don't affect things much. This time, I am going to venture it does. I said before I thought it looked possibly like "student" work. Now I'm going to guess, local enthusiast. Bet almost anything. The small size of the frame forces the head lugs to intersect. I have read professional frame builders, noting how difficult it is to make that conjunction smoothly, there are so many factors at play. The Philippines in general, and Manila specifically, has a very active and inventive welding industry, from Jeepneys to commercial and domestic custom fabrication, there is an abundance of skilled artisans who work with metal. I think this frame was the work of one such.
It would explain the bottom bracket, and lug details. The builder was referencing a Colnago, not trying to truly make a "fake". I hope you are not disappointed, by my guess, I think you have something pretty unique on your hands. There may even be a way to trace it back to the builder. Take a look at my recent track bike thread regarding who may have built it. Someone may remember the guy who loved bikes.
Best regards, Eric
Not dissappointed at all 😊 thats the closest direction i have. Its nice to hear someone knows our local industry and shares my hunch. Your right with the artisan builders. We have a lot like ave maldea, pusaworks, etc. who started as jeepneys welders in their younger years and now has thriving handmade bike fab businesses and continuously being patronized by young bike enthusiasts.. and very affordable. I guess ill keep this one as is, who knows in the future someone might recognize it, i still have space to spare for this one 😅. Thanks for all the insights and help. Stay safe.
Likes For NormanB: