Old 09-11-21, 03:17 PM
Dancing Skeleton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Yeah chicken and egg kind of question, lol.

I didn't mean to make a big deal of the impact this kind of integrated storage feature has on frame design (the Domane is a nice bike). But when manufacturers are generally looking to shave a few grams off wherever they can (Specialized Aethos being the ultimate in this regard) integrated storage hatches in the main frame tubes are unlikely to feature in the design brief. That's all I was trying to say really i.e. that's why it's not a common thing.
Yes, the Domane has gotten heavier with each new generation. I had a 2014 ProjectOne Six Series (rim brake), which weighed 15 lbs with pedals & cages.
It was a perfect combination of endurance-race geometry & lightweight. It was a great climbing bike that didn't beat you up on centuries.
The 2021 SLR is over 18 pounds, but is still pretty fast, and it's very comfortable & smooth on crappy, rutted New England roads.
I've also got a 2019 Emonda SLR weighing in at 13.5 pounds with pedals & cages, it's fast & nimble, and climbs like nothing else.
It's also pretty comfortable, but not as smooth as either Domane, and of course the down tube is much too small for integrated storage.
BTW, the internal storage & integrated light mount make for a nice, clean setup.

I love both bikes.
Likes For Dancing Skeleton: