View Single Post
Old 12-09-21, 01:37 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Cool, thanks! That looks like a very reasonable option for it. I've read reports from bikepackers who carry tents strapped to their handlebars - this one is too long - or splitting them up and either strapping or carrying the poles only on their top tube. REI makes a bikepacking seat bag that has dedicated straps for tent poles https://bikepacking.com/gear/rei-bikepacking-bags/.
Anyway, that's a digression. Always great to see touring/bikepacking pictures, especially if they're from nearby (NE).

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I carry it strapped to my rear rack parallel With the bike. (I will post a photo from my phone in a bit.) It hangs much further over the end of the rack than the Fly Creek.

I carry a 4'x8' or so blue, plastic tarp. Unless I am pitched on soft soil with lush grass, which is rarely, I use that as a groundsheet.

I don't bother when I am under a shelter. I stake it out fully when I am not, but if the weather is going to be decent and I don't feel I need privacy I will skip the fly. I did that 2 out of the 8 nights I camped without a shelter during my two-week September trip. It was either cold or wet/possibly wet the other 6 nights.

In comparison, the Fly Creek doesn't even reach the end of the rear rack, with sloppy tarp fold notwithstanding. I stayed in a hotel the night before I started that trip and didn't bother doing a better job of folding the tarp. I am usually not that sloppy, but I had a long train ride the day before and got up really early because I had a 65 mile day on the GAP ahead of me.