Old 01-03-22, 01:30 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
I have found the Garmin mapping/routes to be pretty good, too. I haven't put the K2 to a real test yet on the routing.
I have. I've owned an Edge 810, a 1000, now a 1030, a Wahoo Bolt, as well as a K2.

The maps are better and clearer on the superior screen of a K2, the TBT is easier to see, the TBT pop up works faster than the 1030, which is helpful with the turns come in quick order. I've done a bunch of routes in RWGPS, which is super simple to get onto the K2. I prefer theK2 for navigation over the 1030. That said, the battery life is 12-14 hrs. vs. 20 for an older 1030 and 24 for the new Plus. That can make a difference if touring, though the K2 will function on an external battery. As well, I prefer the Garmin method of a BT connection to the mobile app for uploading of completed rides, getting routes via the iQ app, etc.... Hammerhead stuck with WiFi,, which is generally more reliable than BT, but a bit of a hassle to enable HotSpot on the phone or to activate and use a SIM card. I actually prefer the data screen layout of my 1030 over the K2, but really nit pick complaint. My k2 has a great gear graphic for my 2 Di2 systems, which I like better than Garmin, so like I said, a nitpick.

General experience is the K2 is easier to get setup and configured and maybe a bit easier to find functions and make modifications. It has a touch screen as well as 4 function buttons, which I am finding I like when wearing bulky winter gloves, so best of both worlds when needed. HH is also better at resolving issues and introducing features. Garmin is notorious for adding features that are poorly developed and often times don't work, LiveTrack has been a typical "sometimes it works" feature, that DC Rainmaker made many complaints about. It works very well now as far as I can tell.

For $400, the K2 is a better choice over an 830 if navigation and map usage is important, almost as good as my 1030.
Likes For Steve B.: