Old 06-09-22, 02:00 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
From the tech manual for this derailer (https://si.shimano.com/api/publish/s...001-04-ENG.pdf), it looks like the cable is installed correctly. bchains has curled the untensioned end of the cable back towards the outside, but I don't think that untensioned end would impact what happens on the tensioned side of the anchor bolt, would it? The tech manual shows, down on pages 17 and 18, what the derailer looks like in low gear (tensioned with no cable angle going on).

delbiker1 could you post a picture of exactly how your cable is routed, and how it looks with the derailer shifted into the smallest sprocket, so bchains could see exactly what differs and make his or hers match yours? It sounds like you've found the by-the-book method not to work as well as what you currently have.
As I stated in an earlier post, when I installed the derailleur according to the instructions, I could not get it to work properly, too hard to push the lever to make the shift. The video I watched, pretty sure it was Park tool, showed the routing as I now have it. What I know for sure, when I rerouted the cable as it was in the video, it all worked properly. I have the same cables on the bike now, over 2 years and somewhere in the 4,000 to 5,000 mile range. The housing from the front of the cable stop to the interior of the derailleur attachment is right at 200mm, 54 cm frame and IIRC, 42cm stays. I had more of a loop, someone suggested a smaller loop would improve the shifting, it did make it a bit quicker. Here are some pictures.