View Single Post
Old 06-17-22, 07:08 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
Not sure how obvious it is--Many folks believe that the latest greatest bike makes a significant difference in performance and I'm only referring to the guys that I ride with. Buy a new bike. You shoudn 't need to defend your carbon fiber buying habits. I will say, that in general, two guys who each spend 10-12 grand on a road bike that they intend to ride for significant yearly miles, where one gets a steel framed bike and the other gets carbon, 5-6 years from the date of purchase, the carbon guy is much more likely to abandon his former latest and greatest for the newest latest and greatest. That is all and It is ALL good.
They are changing their carbon bikes after a few years out of choice rather than necessity. People buying steel bikes are by definition not concerned about having the latest frame tech, so it's hardly a shock if they decide to keep them for 10+ years. If steel bike tech was fast moving then guys buying steel bikes might be more tempted to upgrade them more often. I don't think how long people keep their bikes for has anything much to do with their actual useful lifespan, regardless of frame material.
Likes For PeteHski: