Thread: Steel
View Single Post
Old 06-19-22, 03:52 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by joesch
RE: CF was more like riding on wood?

A wood frame would have the best dampening and shock absorption and flex so would be by far the most comfortable

RE: titanium is the best riding material

Agree, I have all the frames and TI is the best ride

I love steel but if climbing then CF would be my pick
Wheels make a big diff, would change wheels before changing a frame, given you dont have many bikes for many purposes
By wood I meant a dead type of feeling, it's weird to explain.

I hear you about climbing CF would be the way to go, especially if you're a power person, but I don't buy a new bike every 3 or years, I make my bikes last, I still have my 84 Trek 660 that I use to race on and just ride in general, it has over 150,000 miles on it, I don't think there will be too many CF bikes that will last that long. When I bought my Lynskey it was with the intent that it would be my last road I'll ever buy new, and knew TI would last several lifetimes, so I was good that; which is why I bought the Masi for touring, while it was steel, it too could last at least a couple lifetimes.

Sheldon Brown use to ride to work on a 1916 (or earlier) Mead Ranger if my memory serves me right, which he said was made using gas pipe, but he loved the ride, that bike lasted several generations and will probably last several more.