View Single Post
Old 11-07-22, 09:12 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
I have been at my company for a lot of years, and have a very flexible work schedule. Don't know if "rocking the boat" after only 6 months is a good idea or not... judgement call there. Hopefully your employer will want to help, but I could also see where they might think that they are already allowing hybrid work.....

My bike commute w/o the train also takes 4 hours total round trip (1.5 to work, 2.5 home due to hills). I do it 2-3 times a week, then drive the other days. The route was a bit intimidating until I got used to it (about 2-weeks), then I found better ways, then even better ways, etc. I know my city better now. When my car wears out, I will retire it and not replace it. I think it is worth the time commuting to save car commuting costs and preserve the car I have for a lot longer (5k miles a year since starting this in 2015), and eventually save the cost of a new car. Additionally, I have lost 20 lbs and am staying fit!

Originally Posted by jaxy357
Yes, I would leave the first bike chained up to the blue fencing you see there at the station since there's no bike racks and no one seems to know about the ancient bike lockers that are still there. There are so many turns on the all-bike commute that it intimidates me, also takes about two hours. I agree the folding bike could be a really good option if I can swing the cost (Christmas gift?? lol). Now that daylight savings time has hit in Delaware it's lighter earlier and I leave my house around 6:30 am. Did just get two sets of bike lights from a bike safety event on campus and tried them out last week. LOVE the blinking feature, it illuminated at least 20 feet or so ahead of me. We have a "Bike to Work" day in May and I think it might be fun to try to prepare for that over the next few months. Just got a balaclava and riding jacket and gloves with a $100 gift card I won in a raffle for cleaning up litter. SCORE! I am trying to get a truly "clean commute" and encourage and connect with colleagues who do the same. Yes, it takes twice as long as driving but I can see my CO2 emissions saved on a calculator online and it's a good feeling.
Do you ask for special accommodations at work to adjust your hours for the bike commute? I'm nervous as I've only been in my position for six months but would like to take the earlier train home so as not to have 10.5 hour days (only 3 days a week due to a hybrid work schedule). If I work from the train, I think it's probably a good argument...