View Single Post
Old 11-22-22, 07:49 AM
jaxy357

Bikes: '23 Specialized Roll 3.0 low entry, 'Lectric Lite folding bike, beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by ericoseveins
I'm not that familiar with Delaware transit outside of the beaches but I'm guessing you're talking about using the bike cars on Northeast Corridor Amtrak? When I've taken a bike on the Amtrak I'm usually taking my folding bike but I've had some experiences taking a full size bike on the Maryland commuter rail bike cars, which have slick, small metal steps and narrow entryways like the Amtrak. I've usually been able to put my right shoulder under the top tube which helps to get the pedals and chainrings away from my lower body as I go up the steps. You might also consider a carrying strap that fastens between the seat and down tubes - there are some options on Etsy and other places. Folding pedals and/or a chaincase might also help to prevent contact going up the stairs. Maybe might also help with getting up the stairs more quickly as well?
I should really take some pics so you all could see what I'm working with. It's not pretty on either end of the journey with tall staircases to navigate but I'm talking about SEPTA, not Amtrak. Couldn't afford to travel on Amtrak more than once in a blue moon! I tried out a folding bike over the weekend (test ride) and it was okay but a little wobbly maybe? And I need more power going up hills I think. Leaning towards one bike on each end, both beater bikes.