Old 04-15-23, 09:24 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I've been stocking up on spare components for the 3x10 Campy drivetrain I have on so many of my bikes, but not because it's been cheap. Instead, it's because for a couple of months all the long cage derailleurs I was seeing were over $150 and shifters for were over $200, so when I found a few at only slightly high prices I bought a couple of spare derailleurs, a spare set of shifters, the parts to rebuild a gew shifters, and just for good measure a complete bike that I bought just for the components.

There's a fine line between stocking up and hoarding, and I think I may be on the wrong side of it.
I, too, saw long cage Campagnolo rear derailleurs at those prices very recently as I had picked up a nice pair of 9-speed Daytona Ergos that shift perfectly. Don't know if they run with the old or new 9-speed pull ratio, and research has proven fruitless thus far. Looked up Dura-Ace 7900 downtube shifters on the 'bay, and they are 2x or more what they were when new. Yeehaw. I have considered buying bikes for their component groups, though the shorter crank lengths of those bikes (due to being on smaller frames) is usually the first deal-breaker. I did buy a '90s carbon Trek for its nearly-mint Matrix Iso C II rims so I could lace 6400 hubs and put them on my OS Paramount, so I am presently participating in cannibalization of bikes. Oh well. The Paramount looks and rides beautifully, so I'm not torn up about it!

There is an abundance, and I am seeing some more really-tall frame availability and trying not to be on the wrong side of hoarding. I already have tires for years, thanks to last year. But...inflation, future dollar value, usefulness of (hand-built road) bikes--are tangible assets a bad bet? Not at all.