View Single Post
Old 05-14-22, 11:32 AM
Funktopus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Is there any more to the story than just a changing of the chain?

Changed crank or chainrings? Swapping out components with another bike? Just bought the bike from someone?
Full story is I bought this bike from someone else in September. Soon after buying I replaced the chain and cassette like for like, same tooth count and same chain length. The chain snapped on its second outing, I didn't think much of it at the time, just popped in a master link. Since then I don't know how many miles I've done on it, but somewhere around 300-400 in pretty gross conditions (think having to stop to pull mud out of your fork and chainstays 4 times a ride gross).

The other day I noticed the shifting wasn't great and checked the chain - it was worn, so I swapped it out. I cut the chain to the same length again, but this time got a kmc x11 rather than a Shimano. Immediately noticed terrible chain issues when in the big ring, tried to shift to big and big but couldn't. It's a mystery to me why the Shimano didn't behave this way and the kmc did, but it seems I've been running a short chain for a while without realising.

Added a bit of length to the chain, can shift into big big now, but other problems persist.