View Single Post
Old 06-22-22, 09:47 PM
ejw

Bikes: 2002 Gary Fisher Marlin, 1981 Peugeot PSV 10S, 1974 Paramount Road Racer, 1971 Raleigh International, 1965 Fiorelli, 1961 Rudge Sports

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 32 Posts
The Most Elegant and Swiftest City Bike?

I found the starting point on eBay. When the 1971 Raleigh International arrived, it’s condition exceeded my expectations. I wanted to stick to period, and as many British/Euro parts as possible… or at least a period appearance. The wheels, handle bars, and stem, while decent components, weren’t appropriate for my plan and were bartered to a small LBS. The brakes had been replaced with Gran Compes. Other factory components… bottom bracket, headset, seat post, derailleurs and crank are Campagnolo, as they should be.

Of course, before the conversion began, I had to ride it right away, a very old spare set of wheels with an old set of MTB pedals. It immediately struck me as comfortable and quick. I was thrilled.

First I searched for alloy upright bars… a set of engraved Dawes were located. Didn’t know the era, but they’re British, and upright.

Hadn’t come up with good, interesting looking, center pull brakes. The Gran Compes, while new, are impressive, and would certainly do for now. I’ll keep looking.

Weinmann levers, not upscale, but period-ish. The leather wraps are from Walnut in Oregon. The cool end plugs are by Berthoud Cycles in France. I went for better contrast with black cable housings.

Details, details. I like to avoid plastic, or… nylon, when possible. Swapped in some 70’s ferrules from a thrift store purchase.

The sprung Brooks Saddle, bought used, weighs a ton more than the performance ones. But it’s cool, and for upright riding around town… perfect. Still has the Carlton branded seat post fasteners.

The bike came without pedals. As it’s a city bike I hadn’t planned on toe clips. I wanted Campy, but I don’t think Campagnolo made symmetrical pedals. MKS Campy-ish pedals look the part. I may yet go with vintage style half-toe clips.

From the outset I planned swapping to the, very sexy, Super Record chainrings. And went with a slightly smaller inner just so it would be clearly visible. Silly, I know, but elegant.

The result, the bike is elegant(I think so) and an absolute joy to ride, comfortable and quick, for a 50 year old bicycle. The upright position is ideal, for swiftly cruising the town, for this 67 year old. The factory chartreuse paint, and classic details ensures it stands out from the crowd. Of the six bikes I have, it is my favorite, and I routinely ride 50 to 90+ miles a week on it. I have a set of period Campy Record high flange hubs to be built up. In the meantime I’m using my spare, 40 year old, set of Miche hubs w/Rigida rims with Specialized Turbo Cotton 700x24 tires. Actually the low flange hubs are gaining my affection… a clean appearance? Maybe a set of Campy low flange hubs are in my future. And I’m still contemplating improvements.

Last edited by ejw; 06-22-22 at 09:55 PM.