Old 08-29-20, 10:31 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
The Creo is 5K on up and the 14k Founders Edition is long sold out but is a very different very bling bike. The Vado SL is $3350 and is a flat bar version. None of them are friction based so no rubbing on tires and also they come with a decent warranty beyond 6 months.

Also the One Motor is $1449 which seems a bit high for what it is. I could go to Luna Cycle and get their geared "fixed stealth ebike" which is a clean looking e-bike for just a little more. I am not arguing that it is a great bike but for what it is, it is I think a better alternative to a clunky bolt on system. I could also do a clunky bolt on system from them for less with a larger battery and color display and all sorts of upgrades. Granted again not saying that is a good idea just saying I don't know that the OneMotor is a good deal. The quick removability is cool but I could do the Fazua system and also be nice and clean with no clunky box.

However yes currently Bike Friday doesn't offer more than kit systems.
Yeah, you're still not getting the apples to oranges thing. OM adds 4.5lbs to a bike with the small battery. It can be used on multiple bikes in your stable so you can end up with 2 or 3 or 4 ebikes for that price. Bikes that weigh considerably less than 25 lbs. But it's for a different user than those heavier commercial built bikes which start at 3x the price of OM. And when the system on your commercial e-bike dies, you're left with an anchor. And if your bike gets stolen, you've lost the bike and the motorization system.
But hey, there are plenty people for whom those bikes are exactly the right choice. And for those folks they are great bikes. They're just not the right solution for everyone. Definitely not the right solution for me and others who have to take the bike up multiple flights of stairs, either.
I'm certainly not saying OM is right for everyone, either. It fits a specific need. But before you go knocking friction drives, you should try it - an easy 28mph and hill climbing for days, lol.