stormy_ll

Bikes: Mercian, Claud Butler, Harry Quinn, BTwin, Johnny Berry

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Longsleeve vs arm warmers - first time buying cycling clothes

Hello everybody,

I am trying to get more seriously into cycling and have recently purchased some shorts and thermal tights, but am really struggling with what to buy for the top half.
I live in Glasgow and go cycling for ~3 hours at the weekend and approx an hour a day 3 days a week for commuting - Hopefully this should tell you what you need about the climate! This is my first winter here (uni student) so am not really sure how things work.

My body is generally pretty good at regulating temperature so often I find that I dont overheat too much when wearing multiple layers.
I think I am slightly leaning towards the short sleeve + armwarmers since I have a compression baselayer that can be worn as well, and a boil in the bag jacket I could use if its really cold. I am mainly worried that this will not be enough in Glasgow weather, of which I have no experience of in winter... The S/S jersey + arm warmer combo comes in at £10 more than the L/S, but id also need to factor in overshoes and gloves as well.
It would likely be a standard jersey (the boardman blue short sleeved version) and not a specific winter thickness.

As a student I am obviously trying to keep things as cost effective as possible and of course the short sleeve option would let me use it in summer too.

My apologies if this has been done to death!
Thanks