View Single Post
Old 05-31-19, 10:25 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor?
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6198084/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...mera/21997511/

Amazon has over 20 pages of listings for fake security cameras.

Granted these are for the incredibly different scenarios that don't involve people on bicycles, but apparently enough people feel that the presence of a camera does change behavior. I put an extra camera in the lobby of my old condo complex when we had some packages stolen, and that helped cut down on the theft problems we'd been having. Posting pictures of the thief stealing packages helped too, maybe it was just a fluke that the thief decided to stop stealing packages out of the lobby after seeing his picture posted there and the extra camera.
If you read the study you linked, it's really a mixed bag, and it appears that the effects are highly dependant on how the camera is presented. Some of the studies even suggest that cameras make people less helpful, which would be a problem if you're injured.

The experiments in that study actually involved monitors as well as cameras, which is a rather obvious difference from a rider on bike situation. One of the studies cited notes that you get similar results by placing a bunch of mirrors.

I'm guessing that your condo thief would have been quite freaked out by the pictures, hard to know if the camera alone would have stopped him.

Since the effects seem to be highly context dependent especially in an outdoor setting, I don't see how anyone could confidently state that the positive effects of cameras on bikes are "proven" . If they make people less willing to help, that's a pretty good reason not to wear one.

You'll also notice, btw, that a lot of the research is about what kind of signs to put up to let people know they're being monitored. So, you going to wear a tshirt?