View Single Post
Old 11-21-21, 08:30 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,145 Posts
Originally Posted by BoltBreaker
Getting in the miles as I break in the Rohloffer, some observations:

0. The noises it makes while breaking in are weird. I guess people just get used to it?

1. If I shift across the 7-8 divide while stopped, there's a definite clunk getting going as it shifts both from high to low range and also onto the gear I selected. Not a BFD.

2. I tend to drop a deuce... er, shift across two ratios... when hitting a steeper slope, as a single ratio shift is often absorbed by the loss of forward momentum of shifting in the first place, since I have to relax the pressure on the pedals for a clean shift. But this is an @gugie frame, so dropping a deuce is all part of the gambit I signed on for, and no real issue, as it's easy to climb back up a notch as the gradient allows.

3. I am utterly enjoying the wide range of ratios! There's no local hill I cannot ascend while seated, nor have I found a descent I cannot pedal through at speed. It's what, 525%? So nice. If it were just an 7or 8 speed hub, with the same range, it might lighter, and I would love it all the more.

4. And... yes, it's heavy. Not really an issue on this heaving touring rig with diaga-tube, but my arms strain hefting onto the Park stand.

A pretty picture from today's ride through Oakland (bike waiting on big boxy front bag, and likely shift back to drop bars):
0 - Less noise as they wear in, it takes a lot of distance to polish the spur gear teeth.

1 - Gears 1-7 use the third planetary gear system that acts as a low range, but when in gears 8-14 that third planetary gear is direct drive. Think of it like driving a Jeep or a 4X4 truck that has a low range in the transfer case, when you put it in low range you really know you are in low range.

You have flat bars and are switching to drop bars? If so, this may help:
https://www.cyclingabout.com/rohloff...op-handlebars/

I use the Hubbub adapter, have the twist shifter on my bar end. That article has an incorrect photo of the Hubbub adapter. The article has some wooden home brew gizmo, the real Hubbub adapter is aluminum.

But be forewarned that drop bar bikes usually have shorter top tubes, you might find that a frame that fits great with flat bars might be too long with drop bars.