Old 09-03-23, 12:16 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
And its in.

This is the "dry fit" of everything for the framing. Next up is tack welding.

The welding table was a bit cluttered and wasn't big enough to hold the width of the assembly so instead of welding on the floor I decided to put a plate on the forlift and use that as my table. However, I found the plate is warped (why it was sitting where it was). So I have to be careful with the clamping. So far so good.

The bottom right corner - between the rear frame and right side outer rail - was giving me some trouble. After the 6th attempt at getting a tack weld on the inside of the corner I ground it back out and left the outside tacks, then put the rest of the parts in on the top (not pictured) to hold the geometry of the shape. As the tack welds cool the parts were moving and it was too hard to gauge the amount of movement and keep the angle right. So with all the parts in there holding the shape fixed I can get back in there without them moving as much.

I'm hoping to get the rest of this welded up today. I am not sure if I'll get to the axle flanges, but we'll see.