Old 09-14-23, 05:52 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Once I got the frame situated with the bolts I gave it a test run. It rolls exceptionally well. The tires were aired up to 70psi. Those are the hardest tires I've had with a trailer to date and still have room to get to the 100psi they're rated to. Cool beans.

I do need to make an addition to the frame. The angled corners are nice, and were intentional as a softer impact zone if I snag something like a sign post when riding by. The down side is there is still a sizable flat area between that angle and the side frame rails. So I think a better idea would be to extend that angle to the side frame rails. That won't be hard - just a bit more fabrication work with the square tubing. I certainly hope I don't wrap something that tight, but I can't rule out it happening. A 45deg frame vs a 90deg frame will be a softer hit. The 45 will shove the trailer to the side. A 90 would be a pretty hard impact stop to where things could break easier.

With 1 set of side frame rails there is some overhang with the new axle section. Another issue, though, is how far back it would sit. There would be no room to move the axle up to balance the trailer like I can with the old set up. With the 2 frame rail sections lengthening it I have room to work. We'll see how this pans out as more experimentation takes place.