View Single Post
Old 01-12-23, 12:15 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by grumpus
I use studded flat pedals with FiveTen Freerider shoes similar to your Vans, I have a few pairs of Sealskinz socks; they're really comfortable, breathable and so far totally waterproof. That one time I was caught in heavy rain wearing shorts, no mudguards and no waterproofs in the panniers; spray ran down my legs and inside the socks. I'm usually better prepared, but wet feet weren't uncomfortable, the socks acted like a wet-suit. I also use Crank Brothers clipless pedals with MTB shoes and overshoes, starting uphill isn't that difficult, Admittedly I've not tried it with a seriously loaded touring rig, the last time I went tent touring I was still using toe clips.
I just looked those up, but they do not mention them being waterproof. How long have you actually ridden in the rain at a time. Curious because if they are in fact waterproof, they would be a good option. Or is it simply the Sealskinz? I am familiar with the Sealskinz, but still prefer to not have damp shoes even with the Seaskinz.