View Single Post
Old 01-31-23, 11:02 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 1,013 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
For whatever reason, imho bikes that are coming equipped with electronic shifting are overpriced and just not worth the cost. That said, my oldest kid's bike is Rival AXS, I'm building the middle kid's bike now with Rival AXS, just waiting on shifters right now, and will rebuild the youngest's with Force AXS mechanical brakes. Cost on buying axs road and building with it is somewhat reasonably priced, full rival groupset is less than 1k, not that I can use the full groupset with kids, and they find it so much easier than mechanical. Having built and tested their bikes along with multiple others I'm still not certain if I'd go mechanical or electronic on the next bike or not. Biggest annoyance was discovering the need to carry a spare battery, I never think to remove the der battery when I toss the bike on the car, half dozen trips to bear mtn to train and the oldest showed up for a team training ride and 3 miles in had no shifting. Oops, now keep a spare in the seat bag.
For what it is worth, I was only able to find the Force AXS for rim brakes on this Amazon site. The shifters were the hardest item to locate, I was only able to locate the right side, so when I spotted this complete drive train kit complete, I went ahead and ordered it. I got it in about 4 days and it came in the SRAM packaging. I am not a fan of SRAM rim brakes, so I bought some new Shimano Ultegra 8100 series brakes to replace the 6800 model I had on the bike. The 6800, while it will accept a 28mm tire, it really stretches to get there, so I figure get the new model that is designed for wilder tires. They work great with the SRAM shifters.