View Single Post
Old 02-06-23, 01:04 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4405 Post(s)
Liked 4,857 Times in 3,004 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
The simple fact remains. Some older tech is just more robust than newer stuff (notice I didn't say more efficient, better, faster, etc...). Forget steam locomotives---go to the example I posted earlier (after you had already quoted me in reply): There are tens of thousands--if not hundreds of thousands--of manual wind pocket watches (mine's a 1911 Hamilton), that are serviceable and operational today. There are virtually no functional examples of the Texas Instruments red LED watches from 1976.

My slide rule is able to do computations that my long-dead solar-powered calculator cannot anymore. And will never, ever stop functioning if properly cared for. My bike will be functioning perfectly long after your plastic bike with electronic parts is nothing but a fond memory in landfill.
Most people don't buy a bike (or a calculator) because it might last for 100 years. Your slide rule is a great example of a totally obsolete, inferior product. I did my engineering degree 35 years ago and they didn't even teach how to use a slide rule then. I don't think I've even seen one in real life!
Likes For PeteHski: