View Single Post
Old 03-24-15, 06:24 PM
Deontologist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FBinNY
If the old chain wore the cassette to the point where it skipped, you can be almost sure the new chain will also.

Classic new chain/old sprocket skip is as follows. When you pedal fairly hard, especially on smaller sprockets, the chain will skip 1-2 links with a low clunk and the pedals dropping about 2-3 inches then catching again.

If that describes what's happening to you, then replace the cassette. (hang on to the old one just in case).
Yes. Almost perfectly. The chain ain't slipping side to side to other cogs. It's a big clunk and I think it's almost definitely a forward slip. The pedals do drop a few inches and I'm gonna stay off my bike now because on the way home in traffic it was damn near impossible to start from stops because the chain kept clunking/skipping a few links!

Ordered a brand new Veloce cassette from eBay. Can't wait for it to arrive! Until then my bike's gonna be at home resting!

I'm just really, really weirded out that that cassette and chain wore out so quickly. I've only had the bike for 6 months. Before that it was in some guy's garage for 10 years and he only rode it 20 miles. I believe him because when I first saw the bike it was impeccable; it looked like it just came off the showroom floor. Not a hint of dirt or misplaced grease. In those 6 months I only really started riding the bike in the last 3 months. The longest ride I've taken it on was 70 miles. There is no way the bike has seen more than 1000 miles. I'd be willing to bet less than 500 miles. And here I am with a worn out chain and cassette. What gives?

Last edited by Deontologist; 03-24-15 at 06:28 PM.