View Single Post
Old 02-07-09, 07:55 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I picked up a 96 GF Hoo Koo E Koo that needed a fork. I added a Manitou Magnum R I picked up off of CL. This bike is unique because its steel. I'd like to see if I can get a softer ride out of this frame without sacrificing speed. Today I took it out to Harris Lake county park to try it out on the single track MTB trail. I wanted to compare it to my 05 Specialized Rockhopper. Well, long story short, the Rockhopper gets to keep its day job. The old geometry of the GF made riding it awkward. The fork leaked like a siv, but performed very well so that's not the problem. Everywhere I turned the bike was just not predictable like the Rockhopper. I'm not the fastest MTBer, in fact I'm really slow. But I would have passed me if I was on the Rockhopper! The fall off in speed was very noticable. Next I'm going to try the GF on a MUP. If it can't out perform the 01' Trek 4500 I'm currently riding on MUPs, then its CL listing time for the GF. I hope not because it's the last steel Hoo Koo E Koo GF made.