ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Bought a new car last night.

I mentioned about a month ago that my Service Engine Soon light came on on my 10-year-old BMW. I paid the $1400 to get it repaired, and started casually looking at new options. Then the light came back on this past weekend. Took it back to the shop on Monday, who fixed it at no charge. Both times, the light popped on when I was driving back from longer (2.5+) road trips, which did not inspire confidence, and my review of car forums told me I was likely looking at another 5-6, $1,200 repairs over the next 10k-15k miles. So, I accelerated my car search this week.

Took it to CarMax last night to get an appraisal, and wouldn't you know it, the stupid Service Engine Soon light came on when I went to drive the car from the parking lot to the appraisal area.

And for all you guys out west dealing with the fires, good luck and keep safe.
What did you get?

Any chance the first shop will fix it again before you get carmax to buy it?

The auto trans in my 06 acura tl has started getting a bit jerky when cold. I paid a grand in the spring to have someone flush the trans and clean /replace a bunch of solenoids that are known to cause the issue. I'm just crossing my fingers that it lasts a bit longer through training. This year is going to be a fair amount of driving for work. It's sitting right at 150k. Hoping it makes it to 175-200k. It's still been cheaper to pay to have a few things done from time to time vs car payments so...

Id probably want a fun car as my next daily. Nothing crazy, just actually kinda fun to drive. Maybe a focus st or a golf r. Though awd would be nice. Was thinking of picking up one of the last gen v6 rav4s. Still kinda mulling that over. They can be had for 8-10k with sub 100k miles. Id easily get 5-6 years out of the car.

Could also sell the project miata to fund things. That would be the responsible thing to do. But the thought of that hurts a bit 😔

​​​