Old 05-03-18, 07:26 AM
Radish_legs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 33 Posts
How do you create a team culture that rewards unselfishness?

I can see how this would be easier at higher levels of racing, where riders know their strengths and weaknesses. And have a coach or director. And they have assigned roles. But even then, there will be guys champing at the bit to get their own results.

But when you are at the Cat 3 level, people have all kinds of personal agendas of what they want to achieve. "Why should I sacrifice my own results for someone else?" I've noticed some teams are more cohesive than others in terms of achieving team results. I've also noticed it tends to be the same people over and over who are unselfish, while others never put in a single pedal stroke to help a teammate. There is the argument I suppose that everyone going after their own results in their own way, can benefit others. For example, that solo attack that forced another team to chase. Or the breakaway attempts that failed. But that still leaves a team that is less than the sum of its parts. Obviously the most powerful helper is the person who is good enough to shape and change the race (easy for a spare rider to offer help, but probably not going to be there in the key moment), but also the person who is giving up the most. No upgrade points, no podiums.

Thoughts?