Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by RadDog
Greetings, forumites.

I have narrowed down my choices to 4 or 5 sets, but I would greatly appreciate some feedback. Carbon frame bike that either has or is getting Ultegra parts. I am a bodybuilder/powerlifter who has squatted/deadlifted 600 lbs, so I generate a lot of power. I can flex pretty much anything on a bike.

On the other hand, I ride pure tarmac and the roads are very good where I live. I don't curb jump (well, I will a couple of times when the rims are new to test them out) and my background in BMX/messengering has enabled me to really reduce any impact to the rims. The Cliff's notes version is "fairly big rider, strong rider, smooth roads."

I have been considering Blackset race 24 rims with a 24/28 spoke set up. The 24 is the height of the rim and 24s are not as strong as 30's, but incredibly light. The Blacksets usually come with Pure hubs which are very light and, based upon my research, good quality. I can get these for a ridiculously low price ($320) and they are extremely light, 1455 grams. The downside is these are not the strongest rims.

On the other hand I can get a Blackset race 24 rim with a 32/32 spoke pattern and a Dura Ace hub for under $500 delivered. This choice would be the best in terms of strength and reliability and weighs 1680 grams.

I can get a Blackset 26 (larger and hence stronger rim height, Pure hub) with 32/32 spokes for $360. 1680 grams.

Finally, I can get a DT Swiss 32/32 set up with Pure hubs (there is an Ultegra and Dura Ace option for more money) for $390.

I would love to run the Blackset race 24s, they are cheap and light, but am I too heavy for them?

Thanks!
All of those rims are overkill. Any half decent set of rims will hold up well enough providied that you tension the rims correctly.

I'm also 220lb and a seasoned weight lifter. I absolutey thrash the balls off my bikes day in and day out. As long as you stick to smooth roads and maintain spoke tension, you don't need these overkill wheel sets.

I wouldn't suggest curb hopping anything.