SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by edwardsmarkf
ok thank you all - ok maybe i am the first stubborn guy around to get an idea "stuck" in my head....

but definitely now either the stem shifters or bar-end shifters are the way to go.

so, if i ever want to fulfill my dream of shifting at the brakes, it sounds as if the best option there is a new bike.

i am OK doing some minor modifications, but i really dont have the proper tools or patience to do much else.

side-note: the Peugeot gooseneck broke off in 1994 since i had the handlebars set too high. that summer my wife and i were traveling to Normandy for the 50 year anniversary of the d-day landing. i took the broken gooseneck with me and bought the replacement one there. and i had LOTS of fun trying to get that through airport security on the way back! airport security did not understand what it was, so i had to draw them a picture of a bike.
That would also be a memorable experience. Surprised before 9/11 they made a big deal about it.

My only significant airport experience pre 9/11 was leaving my travel orders in my duffel bag that got checked baggage. I was barely 18 and knew nothing about customs. The customs guy in Frankfurt basically gave me a stern face, said don’t do that again, and waved me through.

Sorry for the thread derail.