Old 07-10-20, 08:47 PM
cubewheels

Bikes: A really old BMX bike, Phantom 20 kid's MTB, Jackal Mio Gravel Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 363 Times in 292 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilbur76 View Post
Born in the Philippines, left when I was 6. Never came back but maybe someday. Couldn’t ever live there though as I’d miss not being to ride a nice bike for leisure.
Group rides help. It's just too dangerous to ride here. If crime doesn't get you, cars, jaywalkers, and the road itself would get you.

Lanes don't exist just as drivers don't use their turn signals to change lane and jaywakers are everywhere. And then the terribly neglected roads....Plenty of gaps and cracks that will swallow skinny tires (that's why road bikes are not very popular). There's even nails, and thick gauge wires stuck in the molten asphalt pointing up.

And finally the 100+ heat (hot and humid) most time of the year.

Never a relaxing ride for me, I don't just scan the road for motorists and jaywalkers, I also scan the ground for tiny nails and anything that can puncture or swallow your tires. Many riders don't care but suffering consquences.

But I still ride, to try to realize my athletic potential.

Probably don't come back. If you like tropical, just go move to Hawaii. Philippines is in a lot worse shape than the last time you were here. If had the chance, I'd also leave.

Last edited by cubewheels; 07-10-20 at 08:55 PM.