MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,856 Times in 3,153 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Hey @MoAlpha I have a neuro case that is tough. 40-ish year old female who had cerical myelopathy with spinal cord compression s/p Fusion 2013. She did well for several years, but now has worrisome symptoms including episodes of SOB with "swallowing paralysis" where she feels she cannot swallow anything. I sent her back to neurosurgeon who said all is well. She has ongoing symptoms with major weight loss and inability to swallow well. An esophogram showed normal UES and LES but zero peristalsis in the esophagus.

I think it's a neuro problem and am guessing related to her previous surgery/cervical disease but maybe it's vagal dysfunction? I am really confused and patient is frustrated. She cannot get into a neurologist easily, has been trying for months. Ideas?
That's interesting and unfortunate, as they say.

From what little I remember, this is a common problem with no clearly established cause. I just looked at a review and it confirmed that and said female sex, advanced age, and multiple level surgery were risks. I would look for the swallowing therapist in the area and make it her/his problem.

I have a cervical compressive myelopathy and a fusion and can't swallow worth ****, myself, but we think it's due to the back of one of the prosthetic discs protruding into my esophagus. My surgeon told me if I were "better nourished" there would be fat back there and it wouldn't be a problem.