Old 02-05-23, 12:49 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1645 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 547 Posts
Originally Posted by Iowhat
Chombi1 - it's certainly not custom-built quality, but it's not too shabby. I wonder who many 753-certified frame builders were working at/for Peugeot at that time? Owners claim they love the ride feel still 35 years later.
Yes, but it could have been a bit better. The quality I see is what you would have seen in a mid level Peugeot like the PGNs. One would think that having invested on hiring or training Peuple that can properly braze 753 tubing, Peugeot would have raised the QA/QC just a few notches up to help with boosting the marketing for the bike and satisfy their owners. The lack of quality just pervaded throughout the Peugeot line in the 80's. Case in point, in 1984, it took me multiple visits to a Peugeot dealer going through their stock to finally find a PSV with decent enoigh lug and brazing work (No gaps or bubbles at the lugs and even shaping of the points.). I even had to return the first one I found because of some weird tempering problem with the head tube that caused it it accordion after a few miles of riding the bike.Otherwise, I was always a fan of Peugeot bikes and their Pro racing teams. Just wish they made their bikes better, for the sake of their customers.
My mid 80's Gitanes have much better craftsmanship than contemporary to them Peugeot, and they certainly weren't considered a custom or artesinal maker...​​​​​​​​​​​​​​