View Single Post
Old 11-19-22, 01:00 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1116 Post(s)
Liked 1,212 Times in 769 Posts
Originally Posted by rollagain
Don't look for it to get much different. No matter what they try they aren't going to substantially improve the electrical efficiency of motors or generators, and adding more sophisticated control electronics will only make it worse by siphoning off more power to run those.

These bikes are going to weigh about 70 pounds already, without adding a battery (and more control circuitry) to it--and remember that the frame has to be strengthened made heavier to accommodate that. And can you say, 'proprietary parts'?

As much as I have a philosophical objection (and one very practical one) to derailleur drives, even I have to admire their efficiency. The only way to turn a bicycle wheel more efficiently is to make it a single-speed coaxial drive, typical of the old penny-farthings and most unicycles.
You may be right. I'm no engineer and certainly am not saying I expect this sort of thing to become viable. But I stand by my comment that it will be interesting to see what the next 10-15 years brings into e-bike technology.