cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
My “day of fulfillment” has arrived, after many months of anticipation of this Indiegogo project. I eagerly opened it, checked it out, and mounted it up on my Tern Rally. I have a few thoughts to share, but also hope someone can chime in with some cool tips on how to handle and route the cargo strapping.

For those who don’t know, JACK is a handlebar mounted rack which secures with straps and without need for tools. It pretty much is like a decaleur, only it’s designed to be a rack, not support a bar bag. It’s also designed to install/remove/transfer between bikes quickly and easily…which was the main selling point for me, as I prefer not to have hard-mounted racks, but do have ocassional cargo needs with a variety of bikes.
Mounted, it flexes when weighted, and I suppose the 11lbs max rating will be pretty close to the actual maximum load, at least on this stem/bar combo, which holds the platform just at horizontal. Some combos will certainly snug up the stem strap better and give a little upward angle to the platform when unloaded, which probably allows a little more weight capacity. It looks a little busy when mounted, but not bad.

I’ve not used it yet, but I did try to mount both the accessory straps I bought as well as the included bungees. I’d like them (i.e. either the straps or the bungees) to look tidy on the rack when unloaded, but be ready and easy to adjust for cargo. Honestly, I have no idea how to achieve this, though. There are several tie-down points on the rack, and given the thoughtfulness shown everywhere else in ....

The level of the rack will prolly vary, depending on the angle of the stem... so yours being mostly horizontal will put the rack at mostly horizontal.
You could vary the angle upward by getting/placing some appropriate hard rubber 'shim' of varying/preferred thickness, between the upper strap and the stem...
Prolly something which suits can be found in a good hardware store. something made to go around a pipe section the same diameter as that section of the stem...

Strap storage - seems they should have thought of that - maybe a small, flatter pocket on the underside of the trampoline...
there are options... but appearance being high on the meter for this thing, my 'McGiver' would prolly not suit.... LOL!
Ride on
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen: