View Single Post
Old 10-18-21, 06:10 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by MTZER
It's great to hear that someone else would pay this money for it. At least it's somehow justified.
Thanks a lot for the tip regarding the Sram-Dual drive. I'll check it throughly on-site.
Have you tried this Speed pro model ? What's your opinion about it?
I haven't tried the Speed Pro bicycle. The frame/fork is the same as what I'm riding though. Chromoly is indefinitely dependable. As long as the frame looks correct, you won't have to worry about it failing on you. That isn't the case with aluminum, which develops invisible damage from fatigue, that can catastrophically fail without any warning. A used folding bicycle is the most likely scenario for that to occur.

Yours is actually better than my newer model, if you want to have multiple chainrings, because yours doesn't have a brazed-on front derailleur hanger. The reason that's good is that a clamp-on front derailleur hanger offers plenty of adjustment, whereas a braze-on can't be moved and thus requires a lot more effort and expense to get a front derailleur to work.

There's one thing about the older model frame that isn't as good as the newer one. The older model doesn't have a built-in socket for a luggage truss. I didn't notice that at first because I don't use those. You can get an adapter that adds the socket, though.