Old 10-02-22, 12:00 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by tendency
Solid bikes those late 80s high end miyatas. my personal, unsolicited opinion, is that the high water mark in terms of Miayata build quality was the early 80s - those Pro and Team bikes were gorge. by the mid to late 80s Miyata started cutting corners to keep costs down with the massive Yen depreciation.
Do you know the years of the Pro Miyatas? I picked up one from a forumite that while quite rusted (sat outside; photos revealed all so no surprises). Mine has the SunTour Symmetric (?) top of DT shifters, cables run old-school over the BB through cable housing, no ST WB bosses, no HT pump peg, horizontal dropouts and squeezed areo-like fork and seatstay blades. The ride? Stiff, quick, solid, no surprises at all! (Is there better? I've never ridden it.) Haven't done a killer downhill yet but the bike just gets more secure the faster I go.

I'm guessing '84, 85. The bladed tubes suggest to me later but the shifter, cable runs, WB bosses and horizontal dropouts all say earlier. The tubing? Miyata DB Cr-Mo. What;s that? (Besides feeling simply super and being very hard to cold set.0