Old 06-12-22, 10:38 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 653 Times in 445 Posts
On the off chance that Girona doesn't work out - or for any others who might be considering cycling - road, gravel in some beautiful countryside - I'll suggest
Franconia/Franken in Germany. Franconia/Franken is a region in Northern Bavaria - historically part of the Frankish Empire (Charlemagne & those folk...?) with many towns still in the Medieval architecture dating as far back as the 1200s.
Thousands of Km of country lanes, gravel and dirt roads thru countryside, numerous and deep forest and roman ruins. Some impact from tourists in towns like Rothenburg and my home /birth town Dinkelsbuhl. But mostly quiet, with small villages, farms, and quiet ,light industry. Exceptional cuisine, a great variety of lodging from quite high level to 'Youth Hostel', all with 1st world services and extrememly friendly native population.
You could ride in any compass direction and never ride the same route, for an entire year. Short Bimble or Long Day with a few hundred Km, hills and rolling, but no mountains. Temps in the 70's and low 80's at the most.
September is the best month in Germany, still long and mostly clear days, quiet because the European Vacations days are past. Most residents in the area are conversant English speakers.
Always a good variety of culture and nightlife for all tastes.
Here are 4 pics to sample just a touch of what is available. Also Check images from Germany_Chris, in the gravel ride pics thread. He currently lives in the area...
And here's a URL for some general info to this area - not comprehensive but an OK start for an impression.
https://www.germany.travel/en/nature...cle-route.html

Dinkelsbuhl - from the Segringer Tor

Country Lane in Franconia

Franconian landscape - from the HesselBerg

Rothenburger Tor and Weiher in the evening

Been thinking to start a Bike Touring/Riding business out of my Family Home in Dinkelsbuhl... would be awesome!
If anyone wishes more info, I'm happy to start you in a good direction. There are very good Cycling Maps for the entire region.
In any case, this area is exceptional as a cycling destination, with more possibilities than one could explore in months of trying.
Ride On
Yuri