Old 06-04-11, 04:44 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Pobble.808
I have not read the article so maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree, but just based on my own experience I'd have to say that the above conclusion makes sense -- but only if you define "the problem" as being traffic jams. If the problem is simply one of not having a way to get from Point A to Point B in a timely and predictable manner, then train lines and bike lanes (or at least bikes) may well be viable solutions. In fact they are just that in many places.

I've never seen a convincing theoretical explanation of why increased capacity must fail to solve the problem of regular traffic jams in every case, but I have felt the claim made in the OP ("the car infrastructure increase just guarantees more congestion... no matter what happens") to be true based on my own experiences. Or to put it another way, in my (admittedly limited) experience, I've never seen or even heard of a large community in the US or Canada in which motorists don't suffer from congestion on a regular basis, no matter how many highways have been built. Are there any?
Have you ever read Traffic by tom vanderbilt?

"Think Outside the Cage"