Old 05-26-20, 06:25 PM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill in VA
We have been considering doing this ride for a few years.

Is this a ride suitable for road bikes? Is it possible on 25's or 32mm road tires. I know you need good lights for the tunnels. A friend has done it and she said she has seen some road bikes, but her response was really more cautionary than a recommendation based upon broken roadway..

I ask because the wife's bike is limited to 28mm road tires. I can go up to 35 cross tires easy and 38 Rene Herse road tires with closer clearances.
I've ridden the Abandoned Turnpike 3 times, all on 700x35 tires. The last time was in the autumn of 2018. The road surface is tired asphalt, cracking in some areas, heaved up in others, and completely peeled in others, but it was possible to find a decent line. It isn't a fast ride as a result. The surfaces in the tunnels are pretty good. I'd do it on 32's but I'd be hesitant on 25s. I'd think it would be a bone-jarring ride on the narrower tire. You already know that good lights are a necessity - make sure they are freshly charged or new batteries (depending on what you are running).
Likes For Altair 4: